Tuesday, September 10, 2013

The Little Red Rocker

Remember yesterdays tease with the messed up child's rocker. Just in case you missed it here it is again:

It's sad right? So the first thing I had to do was get the old woven seat off. I just used scissors and cut it at both on all four sides. It was very brittle and smelled funky, I threw it into the fire pit when I was done, it's so dry it should make fantastic kindling to start our next fire.
Then I washed the chair down, just having the seat off and a good cleaning the little rocker was already looking better!
This was going to be the piece I did two colors on and then wet distressed to show the color underneath. Yea, things didn't work out that way. I put my first coat of Valspar's Ultra paint + primer in Cooper Molera Fandango Red on the chair and loved it. The paint went on sort of thin and the wood grain showed through the paint, and I just loved the look.

I'm not sure this is something I love about the paint on other projects but for this one it worked. It also contrasted great with the fabric I had picked out for the seat. I bet you all wondered what I was going to do for that. I rewove it, only out of fabric this time instead of fire kindling.

The base color of the fabric is blue, it just looks white in some of the pullbacks.
Actually before I put the seat on though I waxed the chair with Fiddes and son was in Rugger Brown, it gave it nice shine and a soft smooth to the touch finish.
Here is the before and after photos together, and edited with a little snapsead, because they are cell phone photos and I'm slightly addicted to snapsead.
The colors were hard to capture with the cell phone so I may need to reshoot with the canon. Unfortinatly all my in house models are much to big for this little chair. If it's not sold before I finish the child's table and chair set I'm working on next maybe I'll borrow a smaller sized model. :)
Until next time,
Happy painting!

No comments:

Post a Comment